Plan Your Trip
Brno </div>
          <div style=Brno hiking and cycling Go hiking, cycling, ...
Brno maps Maps
Brno information Reading about the CZ
Brno connections Connections
Brno czech lessons Learn some Czech
        Introduction               Hot news                Tell a friend              Testimonials                Weather              About this site              Contact           
Extended stay-useful   links
Advice for Living in the CR
Are you homesick?
Art courses - drawing, painting, ceramics
Churches and Monasteries
Clubs - Concerts
Performing Arts
Tickets to different venues
ZOO Brno
Doctors and Clinics
English Books, Magazines
Folk Art Shop
Food and Drink
Foreign Culture Centres
Jobs / Employment
Parents and Children
Relocate to the CR
Shopping Centres
Spas, Massage, Sauna
Sports and Recreation
Tips for the Trips
Visit Brno
Wine from the Southern Moravia
Winter season

Brno photogallery Photogallery
Brno facts about the CR Facts about the CR
Brno currency convertor Currency convertor
Brno emergency numbers Emergency numbers

Brno login... Private section


Discover Czech!
Prague Airport Shuttle
Information Centre Around Prague

Search Europe
My Czech Republic
Prague Hotels, Prague Apartments
Prague Serviced Apartments
Czech Forum:
All about the Czech Rep.
Brno, Czech Republic
Travel information, tourist guide with plenty of photos

Prague City Breaks - TravelSavvy travel guide to Prague
Prague Youth Hostel - Great budget accommodation from HostelBookers
Stag Do in Prague - Complete services for stag groups in Prague
Expats Prague


You may find plenty of great buildings in Brno, not to be found in any guidebook. Simply take a walk and take your time looking at the great facades of the houses built at the end of the 19th century. Many of these buildings were the town-palaces of rich merchants and factory-owners, who wanted to show their financial success that way.
Name: Governor´s Palace
Description: The building of the former Augustinian monastery which was established in 1350 by Jan Jindrich is now called Governor´s Palace which recalls its use after the friars¨ departure in 1793. In 1732-50, an extensive late baroque building was constructed on the site of old buildings, under M. Grimm´s supervision. It encloses two courtyears, and its protruding wing reaches as far as Behounska St. with a passage towards the Janacek Theatre. Now the building houses the Moravian Gallery and popular outdoor Jazz Cafe PODOBRAZY which organises series of jazz concerts.

In some rooms the French emperor Napoleon I. resided there during his battles in 1805 and he had his headquarters there.

Address: Moravske Square 1, BRNO. See it on the map here.
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: Klein´s Palace
Description: Klein´s Palace was constructed in 1847-48 for the owner of the SOBOTIN ironworks. The architects designed it as a representational town palace with richly decorated interiors. One novelty was the use of cast-iron elements on the main frontage. Now it serves as a shopping arcade and on top there is a restaurant with a panoramatic view of Brno.

Address: nam. Svobody 15, (the Liberty Square), BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-07-03
Name: Schwanz´s House
Description: Schwanz´s House built in 1589-96 by A: Gabri for Krysotf Schwanz, a wine merczhant, is probably the finest example of renaissance architecture in brno. Another Italina, G. Gialdi, was responsible for the richly sculpted decoration. The portal (dated 1590 in the arch stone)is flanked with a figurative pair of herms. The third floor was added in 1843, the sgraffito faceda dates from 1937-38. Renaissance arcades have been preserved in the yard, even in two wings and on two floors. The interior has been extensively rebuilt and it serves a s a shopping arcade. On top of the building there is a restaurant with a nice view of the Liberty Sqaure.

Address: nam. Svobody 17 (Liberty Square), BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-07-03
Name: The Bishop´s Courtyard
Description: The Bishop´s Courtyard with the cathedral towering above its arcades, makes a pleasant refuge from the bustle of Brno city centre. The house of the provost of the Brno Chapter once stood there, first mentioned in 1306. Stanislav II pavlovsky, the Bishop of Olomouc purchased the house and turned it into his Brno residence. Reconstruction of the building was completed by his successor cardinal Frantisek of Dietrichstein. In 1818, the nwly founded Moravian land Museum acquired the building. Regular exhibitions are held there.

Address: Muzejni 1, BRNO. See it on the map here.
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Description: The Brno Exhibition Centre is in the Pisarky valley, with the Svratka river running by it. It was once a chateau park, later a sugar refinery and then a recreational spot. The origin of the Exhibition Centre goes back to 1923, when architects were invited to tender an urban design for the area. The exhibition centre was opened on 26 May 1928, on the occassion of the exhibition of Contemporary Culture in Czechoslovakia. After the war, the Centre was reopened for international engineering fairs, the tradition of which started in 1959. Throughout the year, various exhibitions and fairs are held there.

Address: Vystaviste 1, BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-07-04
Name: The Dietrichstein Palace
Description: The early Baroque style Dietrichstein Palace is a landmark on the Cabbage Market It was built in the place of five burgher houses between 1614 and 1620. It was based on the design of G.G. Tencall, who built it for Frantisek Of Dietrichstein / the Cardinal of Olomouc and then governor of Moravia after 1621.The formerly two-storey building was acquired by the Moravian Museum in 1911 and its collections (fossils and prehistoric flora and fauna, the World of Minerals) are worth visiting.

Address: Zelny trh 8 (Cabbage Market), BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The House of the Four Titans
Description: The architecture of lovely building called the House of the Four Titans was a big scandal first, when it was built in the 1901-02. These 4 men seem to work hard all day in order to hold the balcony of the building on Namesti Svobody / The Liberty Square. This building is opposite the Schwartz-house. Today nobody cares a lot for these naked men at work. There is a small confectioner´s where you can buy gingerbread in the shape of the Brno dragon. Read the legend here
Inserted: 2007-07-04
Name: The House of the Lords of Kunstat
Description: The House of the Lords of Kunstat was owned by the family in the 14th and 15th century. In 1494-1597 it belonged to their successors, the Lords of Pernstejn, who had it reconstructed in the Renaissance style. In 1708-13 the house was - as a part of the town market - connected to the "Schmetterhaus" all kinds of shops. Its name probably derives from Silesina cloth merchants and means a noisy place or a merchant and customer "chat room". Since its renovation in 1952-55 it has been an exhibition space for the House of the Arts. The courtyard has renaissance galleries and arcades.

Address: Dominikanska St 9, BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The Kounic Palace
Description: unicův palác-novorenesanční budova s atikou z let 1871-73 v centru Brna je dílem architekta Karla Exnera. Palác byl postaven nákladem Judr. Václava hraběte Kounice (1848-1913). Budova je projektována na půdoryse pentagonu s čelním rizalitem na zkosené straně. Palác v roce 1908 věnoval hrabě Kounic Spolku Kounicovy studentské koleje Českých vysokých škol v Brně, aby tak podpořil nemajetné studenty. Z výnosu tohoto domu byly postaveny známé Kounicovy koleje. Dnes v budově paláce sídlí rektorát Masarykovy university.
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The Liberty Square / namesti Svobody
Description: Namesti Svobody, the former Lower Market, is the largest historical sqaure in Brno. In the early 13th century, it was the core of a market village established by foreign colonists. Its closed triangular shape, defined by fork of the roads, was distzrbed in 1900, when the present Rasinova St. was opened. There used to stand the Church of St. Nicolas, whose layout of the foundations can be seen somewhere in the centre of the square. During the Velvet Revolution this square was full of 80,000 people protesting against communism. At Christmas there are Christmas markets and every year a symbolic Christmas tree is erected there.

Address: Namesti Svobody, BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-07-04
Name: The Menin Gate
Description: From the system of town gates, the only one that has survived is the menin Gate which was constructed around 1600. It is a sqaure tower with a passage. In 1839 it was concerted into a house and now it hosts city museum exhibitions.

Address: Meninska 7, BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The Music Hall - Besedni Dum
Description: Besední dùm in Brno belongs amongst the most significant buildings of the Viennese architect of Danish origin, Theofil Hansen. Its importance as a listed building in the historical development of the city is due to its social, cultural and political significance in the life of the Brno Czechs and testifies to the German influence in the past. The Neo-renaissance building was built in 1871-73. Since 1956 Besední dùm has been used and looked after by the Brno State Philharmonic. This use is of course not privileged - apart from the philharmonic´s administration the palace has remained an institute for other spheres of activity which make it nof only one of the most important centres for music but for the general cultural and social life of Brno.
Inserted: 2007-07-03
Name: The Old Town Hall
Description: The Old Town Hall is a town landmark / its tall tower and characteristic cupola is visible far off. During a reconstruction in 1905, five metres were added to the tower in order to prevent it from disapearing among the tall buildings that were steadily emrging around it. The Old Town Hall is the most remarkable cesular building in Brno, as much for its age (originated around 1240) as for its architectural qualities and pictoresque character. Before 1510 the entry to the courtyard was broken into the tower. On the left and right sides of the portal there are figuresof arms bearers and burghers, whose shileds bore the emblem of Brno, whcih city adopted in 1646. Crossing the the courtyard we will see two symbols of the city connected to the legends - the )Dragon and the Wheel. A big crocodile is hanging down from the ceiling of the arcade of the old townhall of Brno. It was a donation by emperor Mathias Corvinus to the city of Brno in 1608. Of course nobody knew anthing about crocodiles those days and so there started a rumor that it would be a dragon that was killed by some brave men. This crokodile makes certainly a great place to meet, as you may pass through this arcade day and night and tourists will find it easily, when they always head for the tower, that is visible from almost all over town, and local people know it anyway.

Address: Mecova 5, BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The Parnassus Fountain
Description: The history of Cabbage Market (Zelny trh), originally Upper Market] goes back to the 13th century. Today, it offers mainly fruits, vegetables and flowers - in the past , the selection was wider. The site accommodated poultry and second-hand goods markets, as well as stalls for butchers and benches where bakers sold their products. The Pranssus fountain, built 1691- 95 dominates the sqaure. From the centre of it rises an artificial rocky cliff, dominated by the figure of Europa, resting on triumph upon a defeated dragon. The figures on the three sides of the grotto below represent the ancient empires of Babylon.

Address: Cabbage Market (Zelny trh), BRNO. See it on the map _ here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The Plaque Column
Description: The plague column is a dominant of the Liberty Sqaure - Namesti Svobody - the core of the city of Brno. In the past the rich burgers used to build their houses there. The column was built on the baroque style in 1679. It features the traditional saints who were belived to protect thw town against the plague.

Address: Namesti Svobody, (The Libery Square), BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Description: The Tugendhat Villa in Brno, designed by the architect Mies van der Rohe, is an outstanding example of the international style in the modern movement in architecture as it developed in Europe in the 1920s. Its particular value lies in the application of innovative spatial and aesthetic concepts that aim to satisfy new lifestyle needs by taking advantage of the opportunities afforded by modern industrial production.

Inserted: 2005-02-23
Name: Zemsky snem
Description: The Zemsky snem (Moravian Provincial Assembly) building on Jostova Street is a very valuable neo-Renaissance building from the late 19th century. It was built in 1875-1876, designed by Viennese architect Anton Heffta and Robert Raschke. The building was originally designed for the Moravian Provincial Assembly meetings. Arcaded inner courtyard, as the hall was designed by the central two-story assembly hall with galleries. The building is ranked among the most valuable public works for us. Since 1992 there is a newly established Constitutional Court of the Czech Republic and the Office of Public competition.
Inserted: 2007-06-27
 Optimalized for IE and Mozilla
©2005 webdesign by JuraSOFT 

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional