Plan Your Trip
Brno </div>
         
         
          <div style=Brno hiking and cycling Go hiking, cycling, ...
Brno maps Maps
Brno information Reading about the CZ
Brno connections Connections
Brno czech lessons Learn some Czech
        Introduction               Hot news                Tell a friend              Testimonials                Weather              About this site              Contact           
Extended stay-useful   links
Accommodation
Advice for Living in the CR
Are you homesick?
Culture
Architecture
Art courses - drawing, painting, ceramics
Churches and Monasteries
Clubs - Concerts
Film
Museums
Observatory
Performing Arts
Tickets to different venues
ZOO Brno
Doctors and Clinics
Education
English Books, Magazines
Folk Art Shop
Food and Drink
Foreign Culture Centres
Jobs / Employment
Parents and Children
Relocate to the CR
Services
Shopping Centres
Spas, Massage, Sauna
Sports and Recreation
Tips for the Trips
Transportation
Visit Brno
Wine from the Southern Moravia
Winter season

Brno photogallery Photogallery
Brno facts about the CR Facts about the CR
Brno currency convertor Currency convertor
Brno emergency numbers Emergency numbers

Brno login... Private section

Banners

Discover Czech!
Prague Airport Shuttle
Information Centre Around Prague

Search Europe
SearchPole
BusinessRanks.com
My Czech Republic
Prague Hotels, Prague Apartments
guideforeurope.com
www.czech-heritage.com
www.pragueexperience.com
www.prague-stay.com
Prague Serviced Apartments
Czech Forum:
All about the Czech Rep.
Brno, Czech Republic
Travel information, tourist guide with plenty of photos

Prague City Breaks - TravelSavvy travel guide to Prague
Prague Youth Hostel - Great budget accommodation from HostelBookers
Stag Do in Prague - Complete services for stag groups in Prague
Expats Prague


Churches and Monasteries



Description: The monastery comes from the 17th century. Many tourisdts visit the crypt with the dead bodies of monks.
The church had a noteworthy system of air currents in the crypt, an almost constant breeze preserved the bodies, airing them off and drying them out. No cut sliced open stomachs and faces wrapped in gauze like at the egyptian pyramids. Just buy a ticket, enter the tomb, and you are walking alongside rows of monks and other local residents. With one look at their faces you could imagine what they looked like alive.

Address: Kapucinske nam. 5, Brno, See it on the map here
Inserted: 2005-03-27
Name: Dominican Church of Saint Michael
Description: Dominican Church of Saint Michael is the early baroque church (built bewteen 1685 and 1667) by the builder J.B. ERna) which replaced the old originally Gothic church. The church landscaping was resolved by the building of a terrace in which shops were set up in 1735. At first they sold pickled fish, later also jointed meat, and in the neighbouring stands they sold poultry. On the perimeter of the terrace a gallerz of stone statues of saints made by four scluptors was established there at the beginning of the 18th century.

Address: Dominkanska St. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Description: Here is a simple map showing major Brno churches. Info is not in English.
Inserted: 2007-06-25
Name: Saint Jacob Church
Description: Saint Jacob church was formerly Romanic church from the 1st quarter of the 13th century, at the turn of the 14th and 15th cenuries it was deomlished and a new church was built here in a late Gothic style during the 15th and 16th centuries. By the purism adaptations in the 70-ies of the 19th century were some buildings in the perimeter of the church abolished and the western face was rebuilt. It is a hall building with three-aisles and a gallery around the sacrarium and triangular ending. The prismatic tower in the face is 92 meters high and it is a dominant of the old town. In the three-aisles are semicular vaults with segments, in the vestry is a cross vault and in the sacrarium a star vault. At the end of the sacrarium s gallery was placed a mausoleum of Louis Raduite de Souches from the last quarter of the 17th century with a sculpture.

Address: Jakubske square, Brno, See it on the map here.

Directions: From the Freedom square take the Rasinova or the Behounska street.
Inserted: 2007-06-25
Name: Saint Thomas´Church
Description: Saint Thomas´ Church and its former Augustian monastery was established in 1350 by Margrave Jan Jindrich (John Henry - the brother of Emperor Charles IV) and his son Jost. Both founders are buried there. Originally the Gothic church uin the style of a triple nave basilica and the monastery were both rebuilt into baroque style between 1655 and 1674 by J.K. Erna. One of the oldest bells in Moravia, cast in Vienna, hang inside. Today the Moravian Moravian Gallery exhibits old art there and in summer the courtyard enlives with ethno and jazz fans.

Address: Moravske Square 1, BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady
Description: The Basilica of the Assumption of Our Lady is a true jewel amongst Gothic architecture in Moravia. The widow Queen, Eliska Rejcka, established the Cistercian convent in 1323 next to the old parish church of Our Lady. This became known as Aula Sanctae Mariae, or the Queen s Convent. In 1782 the Augustinian monks moved here from their original site next to the church of St. Thomas, which is today on Moravske Namesti (Moravian Square). From this year onwards the Old Brno convent became their new home, and also the seat of an abbot. The Gothic Church of the Assumption of Our Lady differs from other monuments of its period not only by its complicated and unique ground plan composition, but also by the building techniques used in the construction of its unrendered brickwork alternating with carved masonry, which is unusual in this country. In the XVIII century the interior was baroquized; the baroque buildings of the Abbey were also completed at this time. In 1868 Johann Gregor Mendel was elected Augustinian abbot, and it was in this monastery that he discovered and formulated his theory of genetics. In 1987 the Old Brno church was elevated in status by Pope John Paul II, and from that time it has carried the title Basilica minor.

Address: Medlovo nam. 1 BRNo. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The cathedral of St. Peter & Paul
Description: The cathedral of St. Peter & Paul is the largest and oldest intact chuirch in Brno. Construction on the original Romanesque church was started about 900 years ago. It was built on top of Petrin Hill, which is the highest elevation of Brno exclusive of castle hill. The enormous church with its high spires is probably the first thing you will notice as you walk out ot the train station. The spires are visible from througout old town. Photo #2 is a front view of the cathedral showing the extremely high bell twin bell towers and spires. The arcaded courtyard shown in the foreground is of the adjoining convent. Flambouyant and highly ornate Gothic is the dominant architectural style of the exterior, although Renaissance elements are also evident. The main entranceway has some of the most fascinating Gothic designs I have ever seen. The interior of the church is mostly early Baroque, and for the most part is less impressive than the interior. The interior is open to the public most of the time. You can climb to the top of the bell tower for a small fee. Views of Brno are good from the tower, but other excellent panoramic views of the city are available from Brno Castle.

Address: Petrov 9, Brno Easy to see from all over and well sign posted. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-25
Name: The Curch of Saint John
Description: The first note about the Church of Saint John and the Minorites convent comes from 13th century. Thanks to the extensive reconstruction made between 1722 – 1733, since then it has ha a nowadays look. Builder Moric Grimm rebuilt the Gothic style church into the Baroque style.
Inserted: 2007-06-27
Name: The Red Church
Description: THE RED CHURCH The right name of this church is actually Komensky cathedral of the Czech brothers church, but nobody in Brno calls it different from Red church. It is one of the most known monuments in Brno, it can be found near the street Ceska, next to an important transfer node, next to the School of Medicine and to the constitutional court. There are regularly held choristers. The church is open only during the service. It was built from red fair-face bricks in so-called North-German Gothic in accordance with the plans of Heinrich von Ferstel. The corner-stone was placed on 7 September 1863 and the church was finished by the year 1867. A year before were casted and prepared three bells. The church is 45 meters long and its tower is 50 meters high. The interior is austere and simple, it is illuminated by the sunrays comming through coloured window glasses. One of the few decorations are carvings made by Franz Schonthaler.

Address: Opletalova 6, BRNO. See it on the map here
Inserted: 2007-06-25
 Optimalized for IE and Mozilla
©2005 webdesign by JuraSOFT 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional